Fishing at sea requires suitable equipment, in case you catch a shark or game larger than you might find in a peaceful stream.
If you do not want to go back empty-handed, it is better to choose a specific length and resistance equipment, and designed in a material appropriate to the style of fishing you want to practice.
Our advice for purchasing sea fishing equipment.
Length of a fishing rod at sea
There are different lengths of fishing rod depending on how you want to use it:
- Fishing rod 4.20 m: light and handy, it allows a throw from a sufficient distance. Powerful and sensitive, it is recommended in competition.
- Fishing rod of 4.50 m: it is rigid enough to practice sport fishing in the sea.
- Fishing rod of 5.00 m: much heavier than rods of lower length, it offers the possibility of reaching a long distance to launch and stay above the rollers or areas cluttered by algae and rocks.
Material of a fishing rod at sea
The fishing rod at sea is composed of a light alloy that can be made of:
- fiberglass, less used because of its high density;
- carbon fiber available in two levels of rigidity:
- Carbon HR (High Resistance): the most used, it offers resistance to any test;
- Carbon HM (High Modulus): material of higher range, it is endowed with a high rigidity but is much less resistant than the carbon HR;
- aramid fiber, Kevlar called: material composed of thermoplastic polymer which has the following advantages:
- Has high mechanical tensile properties;
- Resists rupture due to its high density;
- Offers great rigidity.
Power of a fishing rod at sea
The power of a sea fishing rod is the weight determined at throwing live lures. It is expressed in oz, (1 oz = 28 g) or in grams. The different powers of canes reserved for fishing at sea are between:
- 60 and 120 g: light cast surfing;
- 80 and 100 g: semi-heavy surf casting;
- 100 and 200 g: heavy casting surf.
Good to know: beyond 200 g, the power of a fishing rod is recommended for use in high waves area.
Different techniques of sea fishing
Sport fishing at sea requires sophisticated equipment. The choice of the equipment is paramount according to the technique used:
- The surf casting fishing: is practiced in the waves or in areas with strong current from the shore.
- The fishing lure: recommended for bar outlet, it is for people of good physical constitution because the fisherman is constantly in action.
- The fishing support: technique of fish in line on a boat or from the shore.
- The fishing jig (jig): the jig is used for fishing medium sized fish, attracted by the constant movements of the lure. Solid equipment is recommended.
- The fishing billfish: technical sport fishing for fish shoe large size such as marlin, tuna, swordfish and others. This practice requires extremely resistant material, as well as an excellent physical condition of the fisherman, which must be particularly enduring.
Price of rods at sea
The price of sport fishing rods depends on the length, power and quality of the equipment. As an indication, here are some examples of prices generally practiced.