According to Campingship, Haxtun, Colorado is a small town located in the northeast corner of the state. It is situated between two mountain ranges, the South Platte River Valley and the High Plains. The climate in Haxtun is semi-arid and experiences hot summers and cold winters. The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, with evidence of early Ute tribes inhabiting the area before white settlers arrived in 1885.
The politics of Haxtun are typical for small towns in Colorado. It is a non-partisan town governed by a mayor and five trustees who are elected at large for four-year terms. The economy of Haxtun relies heavily on agriculture, as well as tourism due to its proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park and other outdoor activities such as fishing and hunting. Additionally, there are several businesses that provide services to local residents such as grocery stores, restaurants, auto repair shops and more.
Haxtun is served by two school districts: Revere School District R-2 which includes one elementary school and one high school; and Haxtun School District RE-5J which includes one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. There are also several private schools in the area that offer religious instruction or alternative education options for students who may not thrive in traditional public schools.
Haxtun is home to several landmarks including a historic courthouse that was built in 1922 but has since been renovated; an old train station from the days when railroads were an important part of life; a museum dedicated to preserving local history; a nature center where visitors can explore native flora and fauna; two parks with playgrounds; an outdoor swimming pool; tennis courts; baseball diamonds; softball fields; skate parks; basketball courts; hiking trails; camping sites; fishing spots on various lakes surrounding the city limits; golf courses nearby with stunning views of both mountain ranges that surround it.
Population: 982. Estimated population in July 2020: 995 (+1.3% change)
Males: 458 (46.6%), Females: 524 (53.4%)
Zip code: 80731
Median resident age: 44.3 years
Median household income: $30,625
Median house value: $77,800
Races in Haxtun:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.3%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (36.2%), English (14.7%), Irish (10.2%), United States (7.6%), Swedish (4.9%), Scotch-Irish (4.2%).
Elevation: 4039 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Haxtun, Colorado is a small town located in Phillips County in the northeast corner of the state. According to the 2010 census, the population of Haxtun was 1,026. The majority of the population (90%) is white with a small percentage (3.6%) being Hispanic or Latino. The median age in Haxtun is 39 years old, and about half (49%) of the population is married. There are more females than males in Haxtun; about 52% are female and 48% are male. The median household income for Haxtun is $44,739 per year, which is slightly lower than the state average income of $50,967 per year. Approximately 19% of households in Haxtun have an annual income over $75,000 per year while 12% have an annual income below $15,000 per year.
The educational attainment rate for Haxtun residents over 25 years old is slightly higher than the state average; 82% have obtained at least a high school diploma or equivalent compared to 79% statewide. About 16% of people living in Haxtun have a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 28% statewide. Unemployment rates in Haxtun are lower than both state and national averages; 5.3% compared to 6.4% statewide and 6.3% nationally as of July 2020 according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The economy in Haxtun consists primarily of agriculture and farming with some retail trade businesses as well as oil and gas production operations nearby contributing to economic activity within Phillips County as a whole. Residents enjoy close proximity to outdoor recreation activities such as camping and fishing at nearby lakes and reservoirs including North Sterling Reservoir which provides numerous recreational opportunities for local residents throughout the summer months each year including boating, swimming and fishing activities on its shorelines or within its waters.
For population 25 years and over in Haxtun
- High school or higher: 80.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 1.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Haxtun town
- Never married: 16.9%
- Now married: 55.6%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 13.9%
- Divorced: 12.4%
1.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +13 (+1.3%).
Hospital/medical center in Haxtun:
- HAXTUN HOSPITAL DISTRICT – CAH (235 W FLETCHER ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Haxtun:
- MELISSA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL – CAH (about 23 miles; HOLYOKE, CO)
- YUMA DISTRICT HOSPITAL – CAH (about 33 miles; YUMA, CO)
- SEDGWICK COUNTY MEM HOSP – CAH (about 35 miles; JULESBURG, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Haxtun:
- COLORADO PLAINS REGIONAL (about 53 miles; AKRON, CO; Abbreviation: AKO)
- ALLIANCE MUNI (about 98 miles; ALLIANCE, NE; Abbreviation: AIA)
- WESTERN NEB. RGNL/WILLIAM B. HEILIG FIELD (about 107 miles; SCOTTSBLUFF, NE; Abbreviation: BFF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Haxtun:
- HAXTUN MUNI (about 3 miles; HAXTUN, CO; Abbreviation: 17V)
- HOLYOKE (about 26 miles; HOLYOKE, CO; Abbreviation: HEQ)
- BILLY G RAY FIELD (about 32 miles; CHAPPELL, NE; Abbreviation: CNP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Haxtun:
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 138 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 138 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 138 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 138 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,352)
- ARAPAHOE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 138 miles; LITTLETON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,666)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (about 145 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 10,983)
- AIMS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 149 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,722)
Public high school in Haxtun:
- HAXTUN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 84; Location: 201 WEST POWELL STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Haxtun:
- HAXTUN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 196; Location: 601 NORTH COLORADO AVENUE; Grades: PK – 08)
Library in Haxtun:
- HAXTUN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $12,810; Location: 141 S COLORADO AVE; 7,000 books; 25 audio materials; 7 serial subscriptions)