According to paradisdachat, Poth, Texas is a small city located in the southern part of the state. It has a population of around 2,000 people and is situated near San Antonio. The geography of Poth is mostly flat and the land is covered in grassy plains, with some hills and valleys making up the terrain. The climate in Poth is typically hot and humid during the summer months, while winters are mild and wet.
The history of Poth dates back to its founding in 1854 when German immigrants settled in the area. Since then, it has been an important agricultural center for cotton farming and ranching. In addition to farming, many businesses have been established in Poth over time such as grocery stores, banks, churches and other services.
In terms of politics, Poth is a small town but still has representation at both local and state levels. The mayor serves as the head of government for the city with support from a five-member city council who are elected by voters every four years.
The economy of Poth relies heavily on agriculture as well as tourism due to its close proximity to San Antonio which draws many visitors each year. It also has several small businesses that provide employment opportunities for residents including restaurants, retail stores and other services.
Poth Independent School District serves students from grades K-12 with two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school located within its boundaries. The district also offers special education programs as well as after school activities such as sports teams and clubs to help students develop their talents outside of class time.
Finally, landmarks within Poth include several historic sites such as Sts Peter & Paul Catholic Church which was built in 1887; Schubert’s Peach Orchard which was founded in 1898; plus numerous other places that have served as important parts of Poth’s history over time such as old farms or homesteads that still stand today among modern developments.
Population: 1,850. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,145 (+15.9% change)
Males: 927 (50.1%), Females: 923 (49.9%)
Zip code: 78147
Median resident age: 33.3 years
Median household income: $35,492
Median house value: $55,600
Races in Poth:
- Hispanic (56.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (42.4%)
- Other race (29.1%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Polish (15.1%), German (11.9%), Irish (4.8%), Czech (3.9%), English (2.6%), United States (1.8%).
Elevation: 405 feet
Land area: 3.2 square miles
Poth, Texas is a small town located in Wilson County. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is home to many different cultures and backgrounds. The majority of the population is composed of white Americans, but there are also sizable Hispanic and African American communities in Poth. The median age of the town’s inhabitants is around 39 years old, with a relatively even split between male and female residents. In terms of educational attainment, the majority of Poth’s population holds a high school diploma or some college credits. Furthermore, there are many people who have advanced degrees such as a master’s degree or doctorate.
The town has a very diverse economy with small businesses ranging from food services to farming. Many residents work in the agricultural industry due to its close proximity to San Antonio and Mexico. Additionally, there are various government offices located in Poth which employ many locals as well as attract new workers from outside the area. There are also plenty of recreational activities for residents to enjoy such as fishing, hunting, camping, and hiking trails at nearby parks like Choke Canyon State Park. The town also boasts several places for entertainment including movie theaters and bowling alleys that attract visitors from all over Wilson County.
For population 25 years and over in Poth
- High school or higher: 67.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Poth town
- Never married: 25.2%
- Now married: 57.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 8.7%
5.6% Foreign born (5.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +195 (+11.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Poth:
- WILSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; FLORESVILLE, TX)
- OTTO KAISER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; KENEDY, TX)
- SAN ANTONIO STATE HOSP STATE SCHOOL (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Poth:
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 40 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 42 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 82 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Poth:
- KARNES COUNTY (about 24 miles; KENEDY, TX; Abbreviation: 2R9)
- PLEASANTON MUNI (about 32 miles; PLEASANTON, TX; Abbreviation: PEZ)
- STINSON MUNI (about 33 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SSF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Poth:
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 36 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 37 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 39 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 39 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 40 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
Public high school in Poth:
- POTH H S (Students: 207; Location: 510 TITCOMB ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Poth:
- POTH ELEMENTARY (Students: 342; Location: 510 TITCOMB ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- POTH J H (Students: 175; Location: 510 TITCOMB ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- FLORESVILLE ED ALTER CTR (Students: 5; Location: PO BOX 250; Grades: 06 – 12)
- WILSON CO J J A E P (Students: 2; Location: PO BOX 250; Grades: 05 – 12)