The Belgian Ardennes
In addition to coastal towns and cities, forests and mountains should not be missing on your Belgium vacation. The Ardennes are located in the south of Wallonia and form the “green tongue of Belgium”. Endless nature awaits you here with numerous forests and a hilly landscape that invites you to hike. In contrast to the coastal towns and cities of Belgium, the Ardennes are only very sparsely populated. The small villages that you come across here are still very traditional and characterized by folklore and honest handicrafts.
Here an active holiday can be combined with lots of enjoyment. Whether cycling and mountain bike tours , extensive hikes, walks through wildlife reserves and animal parks, cave excursions in the world-famous Han-sur-Lesse grotto , history lessons in historical castles, exercising in the climbing park or cooling off your feet in wild rivers: everyone gets their money’s worth here who likes a little more action on summer vacation. But even in winter the Ardennes should not be underestimated, because then the lush green turns into a snow-covered, white winter dream landscape and a true paradise for all skiers and cross-country skiers is created. You should keep the following three tips in mind for your holiday in the Ardennes.
- The picturesque town of La Roche-en-Ardenne is located in a bend in the river Ourthe and is an absolute must for a holiday in the Ardennes . The place convinces with magnificent castles and ruins. The medieval castle “Chateau Fédoal” is located high above the city and has a prison, several defense towers and a fountain. If you like it really scary, you can visit the castle, equipped with torches, but also at night and look for ghosts.
- For those interested in history, the Bastogne War Museum is interesting. The museum deals with the history of World War II in Belgium. The exhibition is very modern and interactive. It illustrates the causes and effects of the war from the perspective of the Battle of the Bulge. In the new, star-shaped building with extraordinary, multi-sensory 3D presentations, you can literally immerse yourself in history.
- A unique experience awaits you in the caves of Han-sur-Lesse , Europe’s largest stalactite cave. This natural spectacle was even rated with three stars in the Michelin guide. Take a seat in the tram, which is over a hundred years old, and cross the impressive cave. With modern lighting, the cave shines in a very special light and looks totally enchanting.
Belgium vacation FAQ
The suitcases are almost packed, but you still have a few questions before you can start? No problem, in my FAQ I have put together the most important questions and answers about your vacation in Belgium .
- What is the best way to get to Belgium?
- What are the most beautiful cities in Belgium?
- Where can I find the most beautiful beaches in Belgium?
- How long is the North Sea coast in Belgium?
- Is Belgium suitable for a holiday with children?
What’s the best way to get to Belgium?
From Austria to Belgium it takes about 11 hours by car. The motorways are well developed. Please only note that there is a speed limit of 120 km / h on the motorway in Belgium. Flying is definitely the more convenient and faster option. Brussels Airport is ideal for a vacation in Flanders.
What are the most beautiful cities in Belgium?
Belgium has some beautiful cities to offer for a getaway. The Flemish cities of Brussels, Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp are particularly beautiful and recommendable . But you shouldn’t miss the smaller towns on the Belgian North Sea coast either. If you want to combine a varied city trip with a few hours or days on the beach, then a visit to Bruges is particularly recommended. From here you can take the regional train to Knokke-Heist within a few minutes, which will enchant you with its beach bars and pretty houses.
Where can I find the most beautiful beaches in Belgium?
According to computerannals, the most beautiful beaches in Belgium can be found in De Panne, De Haan, Ostend and Knokke-Heist. The stretches of beach on the Belgian North Sea coast are kilometers long and are ideal for sunbathing, cycling, walking and surfing.
How long is the North Sea coast of Belgium?
The North Sea coast of Belgium is 65 kilometers long and stretches from De Haan in the east to Knokke-Heist in the west. All along the coast there are numerous hotels and of course lots of holiday homes and apartments at fair prices. Here you can enjoy a holiday in a holiday home by the sea and spend a few relaxing days on the beach.
Is Belgium suitable for a family vacation?
Belgium is ideal for a family vacation. Families can go on vacation in holiday homes and apartments by the sea, go on bike tours and spend long days on the beach on the North Sea coast. Cities like Ghent, Antwerp, Brussels and Bruges with their numerous sights are perfect for a day trip, where the combination of good food and great sights provide a great balance to relaxing days on the beach.