The seventh continent has 93% of its length covered by the Pacific Ocean and is inhabited by only five million people.
Africa, America, Asia, Europe, Oceania and Antarctica. These are the six continents, right? Well, it may not be so. A group of scientists claims that there are actually seven continents and one sub-continent (India). According to a study published in the scientific journal Geology, there is a continent that is partly submerged and that they named Zealand.
According to the study, to be considered a continent, the piece of land must have more than one million square meters, not be connected to other continents and be elevated above the surrounding area. Now, “Zealand is a continent submerged in the Pacific Ocean and from it we can only glimpse its highest mountains, the islands of New Zealand and New Caledonia”, explains Laia Alegret, a paleontologist at the University of Zaragoza and co- author of the study. “What differentiates this continent from the remaining six is that it has a very unusual geography since most of its extension is under water, a kilometer deep.”
View Articles by Continent
Zealand has an extension of about 5 million square kilometers and only 7% of its extension is above the water line, in the form of thousands of islands. All of these archipelagos are then mountain tops that rise to about 1,000 meters in altitude from the main piece of land.
The continent is inhabited by five million people, being the second less populous, after Antarctica.
The study also reveals that about 60 or 85 million years ago, the tectonic plates that constituted the super-continent Gondwana separated and gave rise to Australia and Antarctica. A few million years later, a new movement caused part of the mass that gave rise to Oceania to sink a kilometer. This activity took place in the Pacific Ring of Fire, an area that encompasses a large cluster of tectonic plates.
Countries in Africa
Countries in Asia
Countries in Europe
Countries in Oceania
Countries in North America
Countries in South America
European Commission, Assembly (2014) of 28 independent Commissioners, one from each of the EU Member States.
The commissioners are politicians, not civil servants, and usually have a political background in their home country. The Commissioners are elected by the governments of the Member States, but after their appointment they are not allowed to take instructions from their respective home countries and must act in the best interests of the Community.
The Commission shares the various responsibilities between the individual Commissioners. The Commission has an almost complete monopoly of initiative in addition to significant control obligations towards the Member States.
According to Countryaah.com, any country joining the EU has the right to be a member of the Commission. By the Treaty of Amsterdam, the European Parliament was given an important role, with Parliament approving the Council of Ministers’ recommendation on the appointment of the President of the Commission and the other Commission.
By the Treaty of Nice, the role of the President of the Commission has been strengthened, with a Commissioner having to resign if the President so requests, following the approval of the College.
The Lisbon Treaty directly links the outcome of the European elections to the election of the President of the Commission. At the same time, a post of Vice-President of the Commission responsible for external relations is created. This title, entitled EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, must also be the European Council’s mandate for the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy.
The Commission was hit by a scandal in 1999 when an independent expert committee published a report on fraud and neglect. Since then, the Prodi Commission in 2000 has adopted a code of conduct and initiated a reform program covering key areas of the Commission’s administration, which has been continued by the Barroso Commission after 2005.
The 50 countries with the fewest radios in the world
|Rank||Country||Number of Radios|
|5||Guadeloupe (North America)||188,000|
|7||Equatorial Guinea (Africa)||230,000|
|8||Bahamas (North America)||230,000|
|10||Central African Republic (Africa)||300,000|
|16||Brunei Darussalam (Asia)||380,000|
|23||Guyana (South America)||520,000|
|24||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||520,000|
|25||Haiti (North America)||554,000|
|28||Burkina Faso (Africa)||620,000|
|32||Trinidad and Tobago (North America)||710,000|
|42||Panama (North America)||1,054,000|
|43||Paraguay (South America)||1,070,000|
|44||Bosnia and Herzegovina (Europe)||1,140,000|
|45||Sierra Leone (Africa)||1,210,000|
|47||Guatemala (North America)||1,350,000|
|49||United Arab Emirates (Asia)||1,410,000|
- Richland Springs, Texas May 30, 2023 - According to themotorcyclers, Richland Springs is a small unincorporated community located in San Saba County, Texas. It is situated on the banks of the San Saba River, about 30 miles west of San Angelo and… Continue Reading
- Tipton, Iowa May 29, 2023 - According to relationshipsplus, Tipton is located in Cedar County, Iowa and is a small town with a population of just over 3,000 people. The town is situated on the western edge of the state, just… Continue Reading
- Saint Hedwig, Texas May 28, 2023 - According to recipesinthebox, Saint Hedwig, Texas is a small town located in Bexar County, which is part of the San Antonio metropolitan area. The town has a population of just over 2,000 people and is… Continue Reading
- Canton, Texas May 27, 2023 - According to watchtutorials, Canton, Texas is a small city located in the eastern part of the state. It is situated in Van Zandt County and has a population of around 3,000 people. The city is… Continue Reading
- Meridian, New York May 26, 2023 - According to prozipcodes, Meridian is a small town located in upstate New York, nestled in the heart of the Finger Lakes region. The town covers an area of approximately 10 square miles and is situated… Continue Reading
- Bryan, Texas May 25, 2023 - According to health-beauty-guides, Bryan, Texas is located in the Brazos Valley region of Texas and is situated on the banks of the Brazos River. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and lush green pastures… Continue Reading
- Bonanza Hills, Texas May 24, 2023 - According to harvardshoes, Bonanza Hills, Texas is a small town located in the far northwest corner of the state. It is situated in a region known as the High Plains, an area characterized by rolling… Continue Reading
- Ben Bolt, Texas May 23, 2023 - According to fashionissupreme, Ben Bolt, Texas is a small town located in Jim Wells County in South Texas. The town is situated at the intersection of US Highway 281 and US Highway 44, making it… Continue Reading
- Bailey, Texas May 22, 2023 - According to ask4beauty, Bailey, Texas is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. It is primarily a rural area with rolling hills and lush green pastures, surrounded by forests and woodlands.… Continue Reading
- Anna, Texas May 21, 2023 - According to ezinesports, Anna, Texas is located in Collin County, about 40 miles north of Dallas. The city has a total area of around 5 square miles and sits at an elevation of approximately 500… Continue Reading